Hiland Cottage is a program of VitalCare Hospice of Little Traverse Bay and is affiliated with McLaren Northern Michigan. VitalCare Hospice serves northern lower Michigan and the eastern Upper Peninsula with care and compassion — in the patient’s home, at nursing homes, or in one of two outstanding Hospice house locations.
When the patient is ready to make end-of-life decisions, a consultation with the referring physician will help define the choices. Patients and families may tour Hiland Cottage and privately meet with caring, professional colleagues to determine the best course of action.
Hospice services are divided into two components: patient care and room/board. Medicare, Medicaid, and many insurance plans cover patient care. Room and board are billed separately and are not covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or insurance. VitalCare will bill the insurance company for Hospice care, while patients will receive a separate invoice for room and board.
Hospice colleagues are very knowledgeable in finding alternative resources for patients who are in need. A Hospice specialist will conduct and review a financial assessment to determine how patients can best be served by VitalCare Hospice.
The Comforts of Home: All of Them
Hiland Cottage is a warm, tasteful, architecturally distinguished residence with all the ambiance of a fine traditional home. Here, the patient, loved ones, and family members find comfort and peace of mind in a state-of-the-art health facility. The resident can expect the same privacy and security that one would find in one’s own home, plus the symptom management and daily care that patients may require. Hiland Cottage is the dignified choice for specialized end-of-life healthcare.
When you need Highland Cottage
A client may choose to enter Hiland Cottage when there has been a life-threatening illness with a physician-documented prognosis of months, rather than years. The patient must understand that palliative (comfort) care will be provided, but that there is no cure. The patient can rely on a trusted physician to approve the Hospice referral.
Hiland Cottage is a comforting alternative for those who live alone, or for those whose family members must work outside of the home.
Four Distinct Levels of Care - from Respite to Acute Care
What to Expect - Patient Amenities
- Continuous Care - For those who have chosen Hospice for end-of-life care.
- General Inpatient - On staff physicians and clinicians provide medical care and act as liaisons between patients, families, and specialists when needed.
- Respite Care - Some patients stay temporarily at Hiland Cottage in order to provide respite for family and other full-time caregivers. Respite patients receive the same care that they would expect in their own homes.
- Routine Care - Hospice residents receive all appropriate daily care, from bathing and dressing to medication management.
Room for Family and Friends
- Private rooms with family accommodations
- Panoramic views of woodlands, wildlife, and Little Traverse Bay
- Cable TV/DVD
- In-room portable telephones
- Kitchenette with mini fridge and microwave
- In-room heating and cooling thermostats
Thoughtfully designed common areas for the use of family members and loved ones also provide ease of movement for patients.
- Family room
- Meditation room
- Children’s playroom
- Family/patient kitchen and dining area
- Family shower facilities
- Patient spa area
- Screened sun porch
For more information, please visit hospiceltb.org.
| Hiland Cottage
One Hiland Drive
Petoskey, Michigan 49770
231.487.4825 · 800.342.7711
Map & Directions