Almost 70 percent of cancer patients in Macomb County had to drive far from home for care in 2001. McLaren Macomb saw the need for compassionate cancer care of the highest quality close to home and opened the Ted B. Wahby Cancer Center in 2004.
While the program initially offered radiation oncology, gynecologic oncology (2005), digital mammography (2006) and orthopaedic oncology (2007) followed soon after.
It became a member of the McLaren Cancer Institute, a joint venture between Michigan State University and McLaren Health Care (the hospital's parent corporation), in 2006 in order to expand services for patients in the region. The institute integrates the research and educational resources of MSU with the doctors and facilities associated with McLaren.
The cancer program achieved a significant milestone in 2008 when the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer awarded it a three-year accreditation as a Teaching Hospital Cancer Program with commendations in eight standards.
As visitors approach the Ted B. Wahby Cancer Center at McLaren Macomb, their first view is of the wooded banks of the Clinton River. The center, a two-story structure furnished in the colors of autumn and with pleasant artwork for patients to view, sits alongside the meandering waterway.
The 28,500-square-foot building has adjoining dedicated parking as well as a garden for quiet reflection. In addition to patient care from highly skilled gynecologic, medical and orthopaedic cancer specialists all in one setting, it offers advanced radiation treatment, the Diane & Dean Petitpren Patient Resource Center for patient information and a reflection center where patients and visitors can gather. A patient lab is located on-site for convenience.
Features of the Ted B. Wahby Cancer Center include:
- 28,500 sq. ft. two story facility
- Accreditation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer as a Teaching Hospital Cancer Program with Commendations
- Education, information and patient resource center
- Patient support services, including reflection center (room)
- Advanced Radiation Oncology technology that includes:
- Varian Trilogy
- Multi-slice C.T. Simulator
- Brachytherapy Suite for HDR (High Dose Radiation)
- Laboratory to service Radiation and Medical Oncology
- Medical, Radiation, and Orthopedic Oncologists
- Clinical Research (Clinical Trials)
- Cancer Registry
- Dedicated Parking