|Description||McLaren Lapeer Region has expanded its Alzheimer’s Support Group to include caregivers who are taking care of those who have cognitive disorders other than Alzheimer’s – including those suffering from the effects of such conditions as stroke or dementia. The Lapeer Caregiver Support Group, as it will now be called, meets the second and fourth Wednesdays, from 3:30 to 5 p.m., at McLaren Lapeer Region. It is facilitated by McLaren Lapeer Region social worker Terri Parmer. In the coming weeks and months, the Caregiver Support Group is planning programs that will focus on some of the following topics:
For more information about the Caregiver Support Group or to suggest ideas for other topics, call Terri at ext. 75579.
- Different levels of care offered outside the home and available financial resources such as insurance coverage and grant-funded services
- Behavioral interventions/tips
- Maintaining a safe physical environment
- Maintaining a structured environment (avoiding over-stimulation)
- Pre-morbid grief/grieving (caregiver and patient)
- Medications to improve cognition and/or treat symptoms (hallucinations, mood swings, depression, etc.)