McLaren Homecare Group is devoted to raising awareness of heart health during American Heart Month in February and throughout the year.
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States; one in every three deaths is from heart disease and stroke, equal to 2,200 deaths per day. The current cost of heart disease to the country is $273 billion – 17% of overall healthcare expenditures – according to a policy statement from the American Heart Association(1) .
Any form of heart disease is a very serious illness. In fact, cardiovascular disease is our nation’s number one cause of death. Because of this alarming statistic, since 1963, Congress has required the president to proclaim February “American Heart Month.” This month, the American Heart Association teams up with thousands of volunteers nationwide to inform the public about this deadly disease. Their goal is to increase knowledge of the illness, and raise funds for further research and education.
Locally, the McLaren Homecare team provides a home health specialty program called Chronic Care designed to keep patients with Heart Failure safe at home and to teach them independence in managing their disease. Our multi-disciplinary team consists of highly educated staff on chronic care management and coordination. The Chronic Care program includes:
- Evidence-based nursing care protocols for each disease
- Medication management and reconciliation
- Home & social assessment which impact patient lifestyle
- Chronic care education & personal health record monitoring
- Telehealth monitoring using state-of-the-art equipment
- Monitoring patient compliance with follow-up appointments
- Lifeline emergency response system education
- Palliative care service
For more information about the Chronic Care program and/or palliative care, and how they can help your family, contact McLaren Homecare Group at (866) 323-5974 or visit the website at mclaren.org/homecaregroup.
McLaren Homecare Group
McLaren Homecare Group provides community-based home health care, palliative care, hospice, home medical supplies and equipment, home infusion and pharmacy services for the McLaren Health Care system. Divisions include McLaren Homecare, McLaren Hospice, McLaren Home Medical, and McLaren Pharmacy which collectively serve more than 25 counties throughout Michigan. While the central office is located in Genesee County, Michigan, McLaren Homecare Group also maintains regional offices in Macomb County, Ingham County and Bay County, along with retail storefronts in 17 locations throughout southeast and mid-Michigan.
(1) Heidenreich PA, Trogdon JG, Dhavjou OA, et al. Forecasting the future of cardiovascular disease in the United States. Circulation 2011; DOI:10.1161/CIR.0b013e31820a55f5. Available at http://circ.ahajournals.org