Volunteering at McLaren Macomb
Every day, the treatment that our doctors and nurses deliver is nothing short of miraculous, and their efforts are enhanced through contributions from caring people just like you. Whether you want to gain personal fulfillment through helping others or you just want to stay busy, volunteering is a way to enrich your life. As a McLaren Macomb volunteer, you are a valued member of the team.
We welcome you to come and share your gift of time and talent and make some new friends too.
Our goal at McLaren Macomb is to recruit and retain volunteers who are dedicated, motivated and conscientious and who will commit to our values and mission.
McLaren Macomb has approximately 350 volunteers working in 60 different volunteer positions. All volunteers belong to the Volunteer Guild of McLaren Macomb, whose primary concern is for the well-being of our patients. click here for more information regarding the Guild
What do volunteers do?
Below are just a few of the important tasks that a volunteer can do:
- Greet our patients with a smile and escort them to their destination
- Get a blanket for a patient who is feeling cold
- Visit our patients and offer them some "comfort care" items
- Comfort family members
- Support our staff by performing various clerical duties
Where do they usually volunteer?
- Emergency Room
- Surgical Lounges
- Nursing Units
- Welcome Desks
- Java General (Coffee Shop)
- Gift Shop
- Spiritual Care
What is the basic process of becoming a volunteer at McLaren Macomb?
Interested candidates must complete an application, authorize a background check and references, and return via fax or mail to the Volunteer Services Department.
- Application is processed once the application and references are received. If it is determined that McLaren Macomb is able to match your interests, skills and availability with our volunteer needs, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with the Supervisor of Volunteer Services.
- During the interview, the Volunteer Supervisor will discuss the candidate's motivation, past work and volunteer experience and area(s) of interest. A possible placement will be discussed.
- All volunteers are required to attend a New Employee Orientation and the Volunteer Services Department orientation which is typically held the first or second Monday of the month.
- All volunteers are required to have a TB (tuberculin) test prior to beginning their volunteer assignment. (free of charge).
What are the general requirements?
- Adult Volunteer 18 years or older (college students click here)
- Available to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per week
- Able to commit to one year of volunteering
- Attend orientations and training
- Pass a background check
Apply to Volunteer - Over 18 only
To apply to volunteer at McLaren Macomb, click here to print a PDF of the Volunteer Application, complete it, and return the signed application to our Volunteer Services Department. You may return the application in the following ways.
Attn: Volunteer Services
1000 Harrington Blvd
Mount Clemens, MI 48043
If you have additional questions please contact Volunteer Services at 586-493-8174.